Lines, lines...stop poking me!




Last night: grinch that stole Christmas 
Today is going to be filled with angry tears! Yesterday, late morning I was called to be notified that Emerson was in need of an upper GI series. This means he needed to lay on a table, while being given a dye and pictures were to be taken of his stomach and intestines. I was already prepared for him not taking the bottle they would prepare, and planned on asking for a syringe. As you all know Mac is not too fond of medicines! So off we went to the hospital: check-in, wait, brought back, wait again, entertain Mac as we wait!
TJ resident radiologist finally came back to review the procedure and off to the table he went. Child life was there
  *my burning question of what is the degree behind all this: child development, psychology
They are always a great help, as she came with a sack of goodies. Emerson’s favorite was a R2-D2, with rotating arms with little lights. I mean he was speechless when that was going. I have to admit, I’m not a big Star Wars fan 😲. I know, I know! I am coming around to it, even though I ask a bazillion questions to Elvin when we are watching. 
He managed to take down enough of the contrast so that imaging could be read. Now you may be wondering why on earth was this test necessary? Well it’s for today’s procedure.
I am currently waiting at the oncology outpatient clinic. So Mac is about to be re-accessed, for a few reasons. Of course they need to check his labs, making sure his numbers are appropriate. He will also be receiving the Synagis injection.
* Synagis® (palivizumab) for infants is an FDA-approved prescription, made up of virus-fighting antibodies, which helps prevent serious respiratory tract infections caused by respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). While Synagis® is not a vaccine, it can help high-risk infants by protecting them from severe RSV disease. 


As of now, 11am, consents have been signed. Unfortunately they are going to have to place an IV into his foot. Why? Well the port is working just fine, but remember it is placed under his skin, which means an incision has to be made. Now it hasn’t healed as well as we would have hoped, therefore, it managed to open and now has some pus coming out. So rather than risk an infection, they will place an IV in his foot. Once we get into the pre-operative area discussion about possible removal of the port and a different type of line will be placed. My goodness the poor kid is screaming his lungs off, for many reasons: they have him strapped down, he is hungry, potential for pain! Thank God for Ayeya!
Next stop is procedure...
Now he has been hollering! I mean can babies loose their voice? I don’t think it’s possible, but this poor little guy! So the IV was placed in his arm, and currently he is connected to a portable infusion pump in order to get a dose of  Clindamycin (an antibiotic). Now since his discharge, Mac’s body has been improving, with his immune system basically rebuilding itself. Still there is concern for any sort of infection. 


It is currently 13:44
Now we are still waiting, just in a different room. We were finally called back, all the forms signed, including consent to remove the port (concern for infection). There was a case ahead of us, finishing up, and we still wait. Maybe it’s me but this whole waiting business in the world of medicine, it’s just obnoxious. Mind you I’m a physician, and I’m fairly strict on late policy, but I like to be on time with my patients. I fuss if my patient has a 9am appointment and it’s 9:05 and they have not been called back. Which is to say, show up by 8:45, make sure all your papers are filled and then you won’t have to wait until 9:15 or later. It’s the worse for new patients!

This momma is tired, and this bed is looking good to sleep. But my poor kid is straight starving going on 5 hours! There has got to be a better way for exclusively breastfed kids to have a shorter duration prior to a procedure if not being able to eat!

Finally...14:30 and he is brought back
So plan of action 
*lumbar puncture with a dose of intrathecal chemo
*bone marrow biopsy (hopefully of the hip)
That followed by 
*removal of port (concern for infection)
*placement of g-tube

Alright now (in the voice of papa goodly/pere-pere)
My little guy is in recovery! Praise the Lord. Just waiting for them to call me back. 
So as we walk back, it’s about 17:30, and the the surgeon Dr.R, lets me know I can’t feed him until tomorrow! This mama is about to loose it. As of this point it’s almost 12 hours since last feed. You have poked and prodded at my son, you want me to hold him and not feed him? Got to be out your mind. I managed to convince her to use my left side to atleast pacify him (as I don’t produce as much milk). Praise the a Lord she allows it.
We make it up to our room about an hour later, and again I’m not going to stick around too long. He has gotten some pain meds, but if he so much smells me he is going to go crazy! So I decided to go wonder the halls of the hospitals and get my overnight bag.
Currently just waiting for daddy to come.
We will check in the morning

Father God, I am so grateful for the quickness of the procedures, despite the delays. For tour ever presence with the doctors as they take care of my child. May you watch over him this evening as he continues to recover from the intense day of procedures. Lord may you continued to be glorified. Amen

Comments

  1. Romans 8:(31) What, then, are we to say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? (32) He who did not spare even his own Son, but gave him up on behalf of us all, is it possible that, having given us his Son, he would not give us everything else too?

    Lyrics - If God Be For Us

    Those predestinate, He also called, and to whom He called, He justified, and to whom He justified, He glorified. So, what do we say to all these things?

    If God be for us, than who can be against us?
    If God be for us, than who can be against us?

    In spite of my failures, I've been justified, and because of Jesus, I've been justified, and then when it's all over he promised to glorify.

    Ohhh! Now, don't be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies through the day. For God has given angels charge over you, and with that same trial, he had made a way, he had made a way.

    So I say...If God be for us, than who can be against us? If God be for us, than who can be against us.

    Yes Lord, be bless

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Shaken up

Make that a combo please