The true match: HLA typing



Last night went well...so to speak. Okay so second night at home and I’m still trying to make adjustments. I admit I’ve allowed my oldest to stay up past their bedtime as my way of trying to spend more time with them since returning. Today manny and Mia were scheduled to return to school, but we had other plans.
As many of you know ultimately part of the cure or remission of a cancerous process is to undergo STEM cell transplant. Ideally utilizing the bone marrow from a donor. In order for this to be successful there must be a match between donor and recipient. Some of you donate blood, so you may know that once they obtain your blood they do the following
*type and screen (ABO and Rh typing)
*testing for any communicable diseases (HIV, Hepatitis)
*sometimes they determine your hemoglobin (determine if your anemic)
    ~ can’t have you donating and then you need to be on the receiving end

So today my whole little crew along with ayeya, headed to the clinic. Everyone was going to be evaluated today for the Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA). Find out more Essentially they are markers on your cells, and your body comes to recognize which belong and which do not. Hence the importance of the donor matching the recipient. There is about 50% chance that a matching HLA haplotype (set of DNA variations), will be found between siblings. That percentage goes down for me and Elvin as a Mac’s parents.  Now for some of you who have little ones, you may have heard or even looked into harvesting the placenta for stem cells. So the placenta and cord blood are rich in what we call hematopoietic cells.
  *they can give rise to all blood cell types
Since so many of you are wondering about getting tested, check the link Be A Match. Just know that further away from family members less likely the match. We are trusting that God has provided a match already, and with that said from one of older two, God willing. 


  When we were discharged from hosptial, Emerson’s port line was
de-accessed. This mean though anytime they need to give or take anything that goes through the port and the nurses have to re-access it. This is the least favorite part of his day, when your messing with the port. So I’m order to make things less painful they ask for me to put a numbing cream. Well in my attempt to open the tube, with my teeth, I inadvertently managed to get some in my mouth. Well let’s just say I drooled for a little while.
  I had the pleasure to have child life, group that advocates for the children and their siblings, so that transitions go smoothly, new changes are understood and oh so much more. I was also given Mac’s beads of courage. If you don’t remember for everything there’s is a different color bead: each night in hospital, days in isolation, each round of chemo, and procedures, the list goes on. I think it’s a great way to have children remember all that they had to experience, and it so colorful. Don’t worry I will be getting help from his big brother and sister to put the beads on strings. 
Manny and Mia were so brave, getting their blood drawn. I sent them back with ayeya, and not a peep or cry did I hear. If they only truly new and understood what that poke may result in. I can only hope and pray that one of them matches. They will need to be tested again in about two weeks, as this process of determining the similarities takes some time.

  Now we are back home, full bellies and just lounging around. So thankful that I get to enjoy all my kids today. It’s a beautiful day and I know that this is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad it in (paraphrase if Psalm 118:24)

Father God, I rejoice in you today. For your son, Jesus, who overcame death and was resurrected. The joy of my children overflows in my heart. I so desire that they will come to know you as they see those around then reflect you. Continue to be with us as Emerson defeats AML and a match is found. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Shaken up

Extended stay @ Ocshner