Rumble in my tummy:just give me my mommy’s milk



Good evening family and friends. I want to first thank God, and by the power of His Holy Spirit for giving us a brand new day. We were hoping for a quiet day, but our Mac is full of surprises. 
By the grace of Jesus he had not been vomiting much. There was minimum blood, primarily from the mouth. An attempt to feed him through his g-tube was done yesterday with success, of a whopping 20ml/cc. That is actually less than an ounce, but we are going slow and that’s okay. Well in an attempt to feed again I ‘vented my the tube. 
   *basically I place the tube, unclamped and allow whatever is in his belly to drain
1st time it was bright red, but not from active bleeding, just big mucous 
2nd time less blood, but a whole lot more mucous

Have you ever seen ghostbusters, the first one, with the pink goo, well that’s what all this excess mucous reminds me of.

So we took a break and planned to attempt to feed him again when he fell asleep. On the 3rd attempt not much came out, and that made me feel good so Mac was connected to the kangaroo pump and his feed, of my breast milk going at a rate of 5ml/hour began. He did well, however when it completed I gave Emerson a break and then started on the next feed. Half way through he had a large emesis, speckled with blood but mostly brown/green. This happened again less than an hour later, so with Mac receiving only about 10ml total from the second feed, the feed was paused. 
After a change of clothes and sheets, we managed to get Mac settled. 

We were still on high alert as he had been coughing, in attempt to clear some of the phlegm that has been produced in excess. We soon found out that he is beginning to make neutrophils (essential in mounting an immune response), but that his platelets would need to be replaced and his liver function was elevated. Below is the trend:
ALT: 426–643–921
AST:191–350–431
Alkaline phosphates seems:362–459–430
Total bilirubin: 1.1–1.5–1.6
Click to get more info on these test

So you can only imagine, nothing by mouth for almost 1.5 weeks, receiving nutrition through his blood vessels. So the vomiting is due to many reasons and this elevation doesn’t help. Currently awaiting a final read for what was seen in the ultrasound that was performed.  
  *appears to be sludge in the gallbladder (not much change from ultrasound completed earlier thus week with the bleeding episode).
  What is this sludge
All this stuff dealing with trying to get my son back to getting his feeds through his tube or even for his mouth to heal so that I can give breast milk has got me thinking. I have always eaten fairly well, not eating much junk growing up. Lately the whole vegetarian/vegan option has been thought about. 
Now this portion of the post will vary a bit as I’m in need of your opinion
 * a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
Now after having a quick conversation about this with my sister her response was 
   I guess it’s never too late to change, seeing that I made these same observations and suggestions before, but you didn’t listen’. 
Of course me being big sister 
 I know your right. I think this situation of my child being diagnosed with cancer has changed my perception

One thing I didn’t want to do was overwhelm myself with too many websites, help-gurus, documentaries. I will admit that I reached out to an old friend of my husband and I that I know has been vegan for some time M.V. She was first and foremost so kind as to not verbally vomit too much data. What she did was the following
directed me to a documentary (recent)
  On my own I found this one: What the health

didn’t suggest a documentary with a bunch of propaganda, and gruesome videos of slaughtered animals
suggested to search for recipes online through social media’s (I shall be using Pinterest) 
gave me a short but sweet version of a soup that she makes
Let’s just say I have seen pictures of her dishes and they make me want to dive in.
 So as of tomorrow I will be working on transitioning to begin my vegan journey. I’m already figuring it will be a tad bit difficult. However I do desire to decrease the animal products and byproduct I put into my body, and for the recovery process and health of Mac. 

So I ask what do you think?
Share your thoughts please. 
 *my husband states that our daughter will have a hard time transitioning, as she loves her hot dog and pizza!

So this means if you desire to show love by feeding us, you may have to take this into thought. Most places have vegan options, and I mean social media has all sorts of options for recipes, if you desire to cook from scratch. I do realize that animal by products include dairy (milks and cheese), I know that though this change will take some time, I’m looking forward to the changes that this will bring to the well being of my body, and the ability for my son to have a strong system to push him through this cancer and it’s treatment


Father God, thank you for giving us free will. The ability to choose the light or dark. I’m so honored to walk in light with you. I am also grateful for an opportunity to change habits that may affect us. Lord God may the decisions I make glorify you. Amen

Comments

  1. Trying something new cannot hurt. I believe God can put things on our hearts and if this is what feels right - do it! The La Leche league group that I follow online (thousands of women giving other breastfeeding moms advice) are often suggesting moms give up dairy if their little ones are having gastrointestinal/ stomach issues. I have switched back and forth between vegetarian and nonvegetarian- an app that I really like is Meal lime , it lets you set dietary restrictions, servings per meal you’d like to yield, and then gives you a ton of recipes- from there you can select your meal plan for the week and it compiles your grocery list for you. Ok sorry to ramble... hope this helps. Sending love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dr. G- nutrición has changed my life in past year- caring for temple with more exercise this year for energy is next. I’d love to talk next time I see you and just bring some laughs of course too. Michael Pollan (In Defense of Food Documentary), Dr. Low Dog and Blue Zones Solution. It is not all fully vegan/ vegetarian but there are options for that! It is reasonable and sound and fun. Yotam Otolenghi as well. Many from Brian and it’s resources. So many now so less is more ��- won’t overwhelm. I’d love to support you/ family and Mac how I can. But see you soon for sweets. Inspired by you all. Love, Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Shaken up

Make that a combo please