Pain...not today

  Almost made it...we had been fever free since about last Thursday evening. With no warning this morning during the 4 am lab draw, it appeared that the dreaded fever was back. Well what does that mean exactly? Okay so I will start off with this, does this look like a face of a little guy who isn’t feeling well?

  So the nurses and resident came back to evaluate him. Cultures are drawn, which is a specific lab to make sure that no infection is growing in his blood. I mean his immune system is basically obliterated as the chemo does is work. So that means he is susceptible to infections. They did re-swab his nose for those viral infections he managed to acquire last week, and they are still positive. Concern is that since he is so small he is obviously more at risk for infections overall. 
  So with all the checking and re-assessing this little guy was up sitting and babbling at 4:30 this morning. Could I make a suggestion in a situation like this: a single serve keurig in every room! I mean in situations like this parents need a cup of coffee, maybe tea. That feeling of being half awake/sleep, trying to hold your little guy up. It feels like your floating or something. But seriously a cup of coffee would have helped a lot. By the time he did fall asleep it was 6, and of course I was sort of trapped underneath Mac, as I often serve as a pillow. 
  The blessing in all of this is that today is QUIET. Meaning we just sit and hang out, while medications are changed a bit and there is a new team working the floor, so they will all be in to check in on him (more on the world of med students/residents  tomorrow).


  This little guy is smiling, but how?. Can you imagine not being able to speak and tell your mommy exactly what he feel? That you get medication and blood drawn from, what I like to call ‘button’, and not know why? That some of those medications cause such a list of side effects (nausea, bone pain, dry mouth, irritation to mucosal area, diarrhea) that’s just to name a few. But he sits there in his chair and smiles, and talks with me. 

Father God, thank you that during this time you in your great mercy, have not allowed my child to suffer. That you are allowing the medicine to work. Thank you for the quiet days, may I not take them for granted. Amen



Comments

  1. Psalms 92: (4) For, the Lord, what you do makes me happy; I take joy in what your hands have made. (5) How great are your deeds, the Lord! How very deep your thoughts! Hallelujah!!!!!

    Song - I Know My Redeemer Lives.

    Who taught the sun where to stand in the morning? And who told the ocean you can only come this far? And who showed the moon where to hide til evening? Whose words alone can catch a falling star?

    Well I know my Redeemer lives. I know my Redeemer lives. All creation testify, this life within me cries. I know my Redeemer lives, yeah. Yes Lord.

    Be bless, we looking forward to celebrate the goodness of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Shaken up

Extended stay @ Ocshner